I, Montana, used to live near the sandy beaches in Florida. But then I fell in love with rock climbing, mountainous terrain, and hiked the Appalachian Trail from Georgia to Maine. Now I live in Washington state, and work as an environmental educator and park ranger.
This blog was originally created to chronicle my Appalachian Trail adventure, as well as provide future thru-hikers a detailed resource.
Why I hike:
- Backpacking is one of the simplest lifestyles possible.
- In the outdoors I feel free, self-sufficient and live in the moment.
- Nature plays a central role in both my work and my personal life.
- Public lands are an inspiring concept, and I feel it is my job to protect and appreciate it.
- There’s plenty of time to think in nature.
- And I love opportunities to meet people in “the wild,” and make meaningful connections.
I started this blog as a way to share stories, what I learn, and raise awareness of environmental issues. My goal is to inspire others to become acquainted with nature, too.