Note: Lucas and I have no idea how much we spent on gear. However, we purchased most of it at a discounted price. Here’s a few suggestions on how to find deals.
- The Clymb, Steep & Cheap, and the REI-OUTLET are good places to check regularly. Also, look in the clearance section of your local outdoor stores, and even generic retail outlets.
- Amazon! Just make sure to watch the prices (they change often). Amazon also refers you to deals offered by other sites like Sierra Trading Post, and if you click through the colors on various items, odd colors are almost always cheaper (hence why my clothes are so bright).
- Don’t forget thrift-stores, especially if there are outdoor related ones in your area. Lucas bought a nice Columbia fleece from Goodwill for less than two dollars.
With that said, here’s our gear list!
SLEEP SYSTEM Lucas Montana
|Tent||Tarp Tent Squall 2 (6 stakes)|
|Sleeping Pad||Therm-a-Rest Prolite & Therm-a-Rest Prolite Plus Short|
|Sleeping Bag||The North Face Cat’s Meow & The North Face Cat’s Meow Women|
|Sleeping Bag Liner||Coleman Stratus Fleece & Sea to Summit Reactor Thermolite Liner|
|Backpack||Osprey Atmos 50 & ULA Circuit|
|Space Blanket||Mylar Emergency Blanket|
|Pack Liner||Trash Compactor Bags|
|Stuff Sacks||Sea to Summit eVac Bag x2 and Sea to Summit eVent Compression Dry Sack x2|
|Cook Pot||Evernew Ultralight Titanium 1.3 L|
|Stove||Homemade Alcohol Stove with 8 oz denatured alcohol as fuel, & aluminium windscreen|
|Spork||Snowpeak Titanium x2|
|Plate||Sea to Summit Collapsible Plate|
|Water System/Purification||2L Platypus Bladder x2 & Platypus GravityWorks|
|Bear Bag and Rope||Sea to Summit Ultra-Sil Dry Sack & orange 550 paracord|
|Pack Liner||Trash Compactor Bags|
|Knee Braces||Cho-Pat Dual Action x4|
|First Aid Kit||Ibuprofen, Medical Tape, 6 Bandages, Gauze, Benzoin Tincture, 2 gloves, tweezers, nail clippers, antihistamine, safety pins, tiny floss, thread, needle, and Iodine Tablets.|
|Bug Net||Sea to Summit Mosquito Head Net x2|
|Pot Scrapper||GSI Outdoors Compact Scraper|
|Toiletries||In Ziplock bag – Sunscreen, insect repellent, chapstick x2, toothbrushes, small toothpaste, Bronner’s soap in 2oz bottle, Wet Ones, gold bond, petroleum jelly, and hair ties.|
|Mirror||Coghlan’s Feather Light Camping Mirror Survival|
|Shoes||Salawa Men’s & Women’s Wildfire, Superfeet Blue Premium Insoles, $10 croc-offs from Walmart, and Women’s Vibram Five Finger|
|Pants||Target Champion pants & Outdoor Research Women’s Voodoo Pant|
|T-shirts||Target Champion shirts x2|
|Socks||Injinji toe sock liners x4, SmartWool Lightweight Hiking Socks x4, and SmartWool Mountaineering Extra Heavy Socks x2 as camp socks|
|Longsleeve||Minus33 Merino Wool Turtleneck & SmartWool Zip-up|
|Rain Gear||The North Face Venture Rain Jacket Hyvent & Women’s Marmot Precip Rain Jacket|
|Jackets||ExOfficio Storm Logic Jacket, Scott Synthetic Down Jacket, and Columbia Fleece jacket x 2|
|Misc.||Fleece Gloves x2, Minus33 Merino Wool Cuff Beanie, Polyester Hat, Minus33 Merino Wool Midweight Balaclava, 3 Bandanas/buffs x2, and Brimmed Hats x2|
|BaseLayer Tights||Minus33 Merino Wool Leggings & Columbia Women’s Baselayer Tights|
|Underwear||Men’s ExOfficio Boxers x2, Women’s ExOfficio Boy Cut x2, and Polyester Bras from Target x2|
|Shorts||Billabong Boardshorts & Columbia Cross On Over Cargo Shorts|
|Knifes||Morakniv Companion Knife & Razor Blade|
|Notebooks||Moleskin Soft Notebook Large & Volant Large x4 pens|
PowerGen 6000mAh charger, Sansa Mp3 player, x2 headphones, water resistant watch, and cords
|Phones/camera||Iphone 5 & LifeProof Case/Motofone f3|
- Montana’s backpack baseweight is about 16lbs and Lucas’ is 19lbs.
- Our tent uses trekking poles to prop it up, and only weighs 2lbs. Best. Investment. Ever. Check-out TarpTent.
- There are great quick-dry clothes at Target. We even bought a water-resistant watch on sale for $10, aka our alarm clock.
- For the ladies with back pain or Scoliosis, Target also has quick-dry bras (not sports bras) that feel fantastic.
- Columbia fleece jackets last forever. I’ve had a boy’s fleece for seven years. It has survived everyday use, numerous rock climbing & camping trips, summited a mountain, and more. No snags, no holes–it’s perfect.
- Cho-Pat Dual Action Knee Braces are great for crummy knees. Seriously. Get these babies if you experience discomfort or pain. I’ll write a review soon.
- We’ll mail our cold weather gear back home around Damascus, VA, so our pack weight will drop a few pounds.
And that’s just about it!
We start our thru-hike in less than a week. I hope we don’t have to send things back at Neels Gap! (;